Inducted into the U.S. Army on 19 may 1942 at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, North Little Rock, Arkansas.
Reported for initial training with Company M, 2nd regiment, quartermaster corps at Fort Francis E. Warren, Cheyenne, Wyoming on 2 june 1942.
Attended drivers training school on 3 august 1942 while assigned to Company C, 98th quartermaster battalion, at Camp Crowder, near Neosho, Missouri.
Transferred to Camp Forrest, located near Tullahoma, Tennessee, and was assigned to 11th detachment support troops, second army on 19 july 1943.
Assigned to Company C, 476th quartermaster truck regiment at Camp Tyson, Tennessee on 7 october 1943.
Participated in large-scale winter maneuvers with the 2nd Armored 'hell on wheels' division while assigned to the 3803rd quartermaster truck company at Camp Forrest on 15 november 1943.
Left Camp Tyson on 3 february 1944 en route to Camp Shanks staging area, Orangeburg, New York.
Departed the United States from the New York Port of Embarkation on 9 february 1944 along with 8,000 other troops aboard H.M.S. Andes.
Arrived in Liverpool, England on 19 february 1944.
Attached to the 6th Armored Division, third army at Camp Parham, Tidworth, England. Landed at Omaha Beach, Normandy, France.
Battles and campaigns included:
Normandy go 33 wd 45,
Northern France go 33 wd 45
Rhineland go 40 wd 45.
Awarded the European-African-Middle Eastern theater ribbon with 3 bronze battle stars.
Strafed by german fighter planes on 25 july 1944 near Avranches, France.
In the vicinity of Nancy and Metz, German mortar fire struck a supply truck, that knocked him 20 feet away. Landing on his back, he sustained serious concussion injuries to his vertebrate that paralyzed his legs.
Received a battlefield award of the purple heart medal while at a field hospital in France. Departed South Hampton, England on 14 february 1945 aboard the U.S. Army transport J.W. Mcandrew.
Arrived Boston, Massachusetts 25 february 1945.
Disembarked to Camp Shanks, New York. Honorably discharged lapel button and emblem issued 8 august 1945 at Camp Butner convalescent hospital, near Durham, North Carolina.